Ohio University Chillicothe celebrates graduates
Ohio University Chillicothe honored nearly 100 graduates from the area at a Graduation Recognition Ceremony on Thursday, May 4. Over the past year, 285 students have completed their studies and earned degrees from Ohio University while attending Ohio University Chillicothe.
Keynote Speaker Dr. Todd Burkitt, superintendent of the Ross-Pike Educational Service District, congratulated the graduates and reflected on the importance of Ohio University Chillicothe in his own educational journey. Burkitt was a first-generation college student when he earned his bachelor’s degree in education at OHIO Chillicothe.
Sierra Cabungcal, a senior master sergeant in the United States Air Force, shared remarks about resilience, persistence, and her unique experiences as a non-traditional student completing her degree at OHIO Chillicothe in between deployments. Cabungcal serves as the Superintendent of the Commander’s Support Staff for the 445th Aeromedical Staging Squadron at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. She holds two associate degrees from the Community College of the Air Force and graduated Summa Cum Laude with her Bachelor of Science in Applied Management from Ohio University.
In addition, 11 students were named Outstanding Graduates. Outstanding Graduates are nominated by faculty members and must demonstrate academic accomplishments and participation in university activities and community service. This year’s Outstanding Graduates are:
- Jessica Grey — Associate in Arts, Arts and Humanities Emphasis
- Mackhia McCloskey — Associate in Applied Business, Accounting Technology
- Joelee Brannan — Associate in Applied Business, Business Management Technology
- Joni Needham — Associate in Applied Business, Business Management Technology
- Bryce Bail — Associate in Applied Science, Nursing
- Julie Doles — Associate in Applied Science, Nursing
- Sierra Cabungcal — Bachelor of Science in Applied Management
- Lydia Moore — Bachelor of Science in Applied Management
- Meghann Leedy — Bachelor of Science in Education, Adolescent to Young Adult Integrated Sciences
- Alyana Hurley — Bachelor of Science in Education, Early Childhood Education
- Livia Wisecup — Bachelor of Science in Education, Early Childhood Education
- Madison Murphy — Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle Childhood Education
- Jeremiah Oates — Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle Childhood Education
- Trey Speakman — Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle Childhood Education
- Gage Bray — Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle to Moderate Educational Needs
- Tatum Tatman — Bachelor of Science in Education, Middle Childhood Education
- Kelsie Bossert — Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Jedidiah Miller — Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Kennedy Cooper — Bachelor of Social Work
In a nurse pinning ceremony earlier in the day, 22 Bachelor of Science in Nursing and 20 Associate in Applied Science in Nursing graduates received their nurse pins.
During the graduation recognition ceremony, OHIO Chillicothe’s Dean of Campus and Community Relations Dr. Roberta Milliken presented alumni awards to three Ohio University Chillicothe alumni.
Lorna Buskirk, a lifelong educator, and faculty member at OHIO Chillicothe, received a Distinguished Alumni Award, along with Dr. Jim McKean, a retired police chief who puts his extensive knowledge and experience in law enforcement and criminal justice to work as a faculty member at OHIO Chillicothe.
Ed Kunzelman received the Rich Bebee Alumni Leadership Award, named for Richard Bebee, Dean Emeritus of Ohio University Chillicothe. The award recognizes a former Ohio University student who exemplifies leadership, community service and professional accomplishments.